people.mozilla.com shutdown - impact and issues.
ng0
2017-12-13 17:47:58 UTC
Hi all,
https://github.com/mozilla/charts/issues/39
The homepage (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/Releases/38)
The download url is outdated and SpiderMonkey not RELEASE alone! Get it here mozilla-esr38
You will find it in "Firefox Extended Support Release 38" package on hg release
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr38/archive/tip.tar.bz2
Which gives you a 170MiB (!) Download from their hg.

We have 2.5 choices:

1) look into archive.org if they have saved the tarball.
pro: ?
contra: rely on archive.org
1.5) Use the tarballs I still had available and published right now here:
https://d.n0.is/d/v/mozjs/ or https://d.n0.is/dist/vault/mozjs/
The 2nd link is just a symlink to the first.
pro: smaller files
contra: You rely on me, trust me. That's the same with archive.org, we
trust archive.org not to manipulate the files.
In addition to this: we do not get further updates on mozjs-38
(if it's still developed) because they are now in hg and no
longer released on their own. I can only be a drop-in
replacement for one version.
2) Use their hg.
contra: big terrible archive, possible just from HEAD ("tip" is just
that in hg terms, right? I'm not using hg very often).
pro: ?!?

Impact of this change:

I noticed that icecat was building from source.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/js/
only 38 is affected.

Other packages?
WOFF is the only package that turns up when I grep for "people.mozilla.com" in gnu/packages/,
so this must be fixed aswell.

Ideas? Thoughts? Screams of despair?
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys
WWW: https://n0.is
ng0
2017-12-13 17:54:16 UTC
Post by ng0
[...]
Someone "revived" woff here:

https://github.com/wget/sfnt2woff

https://github.com/instructure/canvas-lms/issues/1073

We already build from Debian down-upstream, so I guess
they are going to deal with this somehow.