[rhelling@mykolab.com: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.]
Add Reply
Leo Famulari
2017-12-27 19:18:32 UTC
Hi Rutger,

----- Forwarded message from Rutger Helling <***@mykolab.com> -----

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 04:52:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Rutger Helling <***@mykolab.com>
To: guix-***@gnu.org
Subject: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.

rhelling pushed a commit to branch master
in repository guix.

commit abc5ef5a7f7fecb99ca8213c0962f42cc1a65552
Author: Rutger Helling <***@mykolab.com>
Date: Wed Dec 27 10:46:26 2017 +0100

gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.

* gnu/packages/video.scm (mpv): Update to 0.28.0.
[inputs]: Change ffmpeg to ffmpeg-git, add wayland-protocols.

-----

As a frequent user of mpv, I also noticed that its latest release
requires this unreleased branch of FFmpeg (it will eventually be
released as FFmpeg 3.5).

I wonder, does mpv 0.28.0 bring some new features that make it worth it
to build three copies of FFmpeg? There was already ffmpeg-2.8 and
***@3.4.1 (the latest upstream release). And, do we know if this copy
of FFmpeg is ready to be deployed?

If I remember correctly, FFmpeg is pretty expensive to build from
source. But maybe it's no big deal, or the new features are worth it. Or
maybe we should replace ***@3.4.1 with this unreleased development
branch.
Rutger Helling
2017-12-27 19:52:12 UTC
Hi Leo,

You can find the new features at:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES

There are two reasons for me personally why I wanted to update:
1. The mpv developers only support the latest release.
2. The initial Vulkan support, which I've got working (x86_64 only for
now). I can't merge it yet until core-updates is merged though.

I agree having three ffmpeg versions is undesirable. However, looking
at the release notes ("This release needs recent FFmpeg (newer than
3.4) due to major refactoring.") this is hopefully a one-time thing.

When stable ffmpeg is updated we can get rid of the -git version. mpv is
the only one using the -git version and it's been very solid for me, so
I don't foresee problems there. Replacing ***@3.4.1 entirely with
this -git version seems too extreme a solution to me.

Hopefully that explains my rationale a bit!

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:18:32 -0500
Hi Rutger,
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 04:52:26 -0500 (EST)
development branch.
Leo Famulari
2017-12-27 23:20:01 UTC
Post by Rutger Helling
Hi Leo,
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES
1. The mpv developers only support the latest release.
2. The initial Vulkan support, which I've got working (x86_64 only for
now). I can't merge it yet until core-updates is merged though.
I agree having three ffmpeg versions is undesirable. However, looking
at the release notes ("This release needs recent FFmpeg (newer than
3.4) due to major refactoring.") this is hopefully a one-time thing.
When stable ffmpeg is updated we can get rid of the -git version. mpv is
the only one using the -git version and it's been very solid for me, so
this -git version seems too extreme a solution to me.
Hopefully that explains my rationale a bit!
Okay, let's keep this mpv and FFmpeg. I'm always eager to update to the
latest releases of C-language programs that handle untrusted input, and
it sounds like the mpv team is moving on from mpv 0.27.0.

Personally I think it's bad practice for mpv to depend on some random
commit of FFmpeg, but that is mpv's choice.

In the future, please send patches that introduce unreleased versions of
widely used libraries like FFmpeg to guix-patches for review.

The packaging guidelines say, "We usually package only the latest
version of a given free software project." [0]

I interpret "latest version" to mean the latest version released in the
way that the upstream developers typically do their releases. For
FFmpeg, this is a tarball.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your rationale!

[0]
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Version-Numbers.html
Rutger Helling
2017-12-28 05:50:12 UTC
Hi Leo,

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 18:20:01 -0500
Post by Leo Famulari
Post by Rutger Helling
Hi Leo,
[...]
I agree, it's an unfortunate situation that hopefully shouldn't take
too long.
Post by Leo Famulari
In the future, please send patches that introduce unreleased versions
of widely used libraries like FFmpeg to guix-patches for review.
The packaging guidelines say, "We usually package only the latest
version of a given free software project." [0]
I'll send a patch in next time first, sorry about any inconvenience.
Hopefully this is a one-time situation though.