Install doc (binary installation)
Add Reply
Pjotr Prins
2017-12-27 17:16:09 UTC
I just went through

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

And it works well enough.

Two minor niggles:

1. Can we inline section 4 on creating users and build group? I think
people easily miss this step now, creating problems a bit later.

2. Add 'guix pull' step. I am no fan of the latter, but doing a 'guix
package -i guix' installs an older version which we may want to
avoid.

Otherwise it is nice as ever. HNY.

Pj.
Fis Trivial
2017-12-28 10:59:39 UTC
Post by Pjotr Prins
I just went through
  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
And it works well enough.
1. Can we inline section 4 on creating users and build group? I think
   people easily miss this step now, creating problems a bit later.
2. Add 'guix pull' step. I am no fan of the latter, but doing a 'guix
   package -i guix' installs an older version which we may want to
   avoid.
Otherwise it is nice as ever. HNY.
Pj.
I am afraid that the installation steps described in the doc is still far from complete.
There are many per-system configuration that might affect the installation of Guix.
For examples:

    Default sudo file on Fedora preserves the USERNAME env which will lead Guix to
link login user's profile even if Guix running as root (via sudo).
    Guix is not welcomed by SeLinux, on enabled system, you need to configure or
disable SeLinux in order to run the guix-daemon properly. Configuring SeLinux
takes patient while disabling it takes guts.

I have written a script for basic installation but didn't share it with anyone due to
the fact that things can vary in a quite dramatic way and I simply don't have enough
kn