Is it necessary to run "make" before "make check"?
Chris Marusich
2017-12-08 02:17:49 UTC
Hi,

Is it necessary to run "make" before "make check", or is it good enough
to just run "make check" and rely on Make to build whatever needs to be
built to run "make check"?

Chris
Catonano
2017-12-10 16:29:28 UTC

in my experience, make builds whatever is needed in order to run make check
Danny Milosavljevic
2017-12-17 13:26:30 UTC
Hi,

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 18:17:49 -0800
Chris Marusich <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it necessary to run "make" before "make check",

No.

>or is it good enough
> to just run "make check" and rely on Make to build whatever needs to be
> built to run "make check"?

Yes.

See the Makefile:

all: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
check: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
Danny Milosavljevic
2017-12-17 14:12:13 UTC
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:26:30 +0100
Danny Milosavljevic <***@scratchpost.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 18:17:49 -0800
> Chris Marusich <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it necessary to run "make" before "make check",
>
> No.
>
> >or is it good enough
> > to just run "make check" and rely on Make to build whatever needs to be
> > built to run "make check"?
>
> Yes.
>
> See the Makefile:
>
> all: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
> check: $(BUILT_SOURCES)

And also

check-am: all-am
all-am: ...

And also a Rube-Goldberg-esque contraption for all-recursive, check-recursive which invokes "make" inside SUBDIRS. *shakes head*

Interesting :)
Chris Marusich
2017-12-18 02:26:15 UTC
Danny Milosavljevic <***@scratchpost.org> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:26:30 +0100
> Danny Milosavljevic <***@scratchpost.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 18:17:49 -0800
>> Chris Marusich <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is it necessary to run "make" before "make check",
>>
>> No.
>>
>> >or is it good enough
>> > to just run "make check" and rely on Make to build whatever needs to be
>> > built to run "make check"?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> See the Makefile:
>>
>> all: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
>> check: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
>
> And also
>
> check-am: all-am
> all-am: ...
>
> And also a Rube-Goldberg-esque contraption for all-recursive, check-recursive which invokes "make" inside SUBDIRS. *shakes head*

Thank you for pointing to the relevant lines in the Makefile!

> Interesting :)

That's one way to put it... :-)

--
Chris