make fails
Catonano
2017-12-23 09:06:36 UTC
it's december 23rd 2017, 10:00 in the morning

I just attempted to build Guix and failed

Here's the error message

***@xps ~/projects/guix [env]$ make -j 4
cd . && /bin/sh /home/catonano/projects/guix/build-aux/missing
automake-1.15 --gnu Makefile
configure.ac:23: warning: The 'AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' macro is deprecated, and
its use is discouraged.
configure.ac:23: You should use the Autoconf-provided 'AC_PROG_MKDIR_P'
macro instead,

[...]

GUILEC gnu/tests/version-control.go
GUILEC gnu/tests/web.go
GUILEC guix/scripts/copy.go
GUILEC guix/scripts/offload.go
GUILEC guix/config.go

Some deprecated features have been used. Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information. Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
make[1]: *** [Makefile:4445: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
make: *** [Makefile:3035: all] Error 2
***@xps ~/projects/guix [env]$
Andreas Enge
2017-12-23 10:53:38 UTC
Hello,
Post by Catonano
I just attempted to build Guix and failed
Here's the error message
no idea if that will help you, but it may help to issue a "make clean-go",
delete the remaining .go files pointed out at the end of the outpout,
and "make" again.

Or in the worst case, "make distclean" and then start with "./configure"
again.

I sometimes have the problem that "make" fails when files have been
reorganised.

Andreas
Catonano

make distclean didn't help 😕
Catonano
2017-12-23 12:06:38 UTC
I run make again, this time without the -j switch and this is what I get

[...]
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
Making all in po/guix
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/guix"
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/guix"
Making all in po/packages
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/packages"
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/packages"
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
MAKEINFO doc/guix.info
./doc/guix.texi:13167: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13167: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13167: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13167: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: { fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
./doc/guix.texi:13760: } fuori luogo
make[2]: *** [Makefile:3811: doc/guix.info] Error 1
***@xps ~/projects/guix [env]$
Catonano
2017-12-23 12:16:44 UTC
Post by Catonano
I run make again, this time without the -j switch and this is what I get
[...]
make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
Making all in po/guix
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/guix"
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/guix"
Making all in po/packages
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/
po/packages"
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix/po/packages"
make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/catonano/projects/guix"
MAKEINFO doc/guix.info
./doc/guix.texi:13167: { fuori luogo
line 13167 is this one

Defaults to @samp{"\"%s(%u)<%{pid}><%{session}>: \""}.

and it's in this block of text

@deftypevr {@code{dovecot-configuration} parameter} string mail-log-prefix
Log prefix for mail processes. See doc/wiki/Variables.txt for list
of possible variables you can use.
Defaults to @samp{"\"%s(%u)<%{pid}><%{session}>: \""}.
@end deftypevr

In the log I see that the last commit is related to Dovecot and it includes
some edits to teh documentation (to update the manual to the new Dovecot
service)

But I don't know the texi format, what's the poblem with this line ?

Catonano
I checked out to the previous commit and it builds flawlessly
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
2017-12-23 14:44:40 UTC
Catonano,
Post by Catonano
line 13167 is this one
and it's in this block of text
@deftypevr {@code{dovecot-configuration} parameter} string mail-log-prefix
Log prefix for mail processes.  See doc/wiki/Variables.txt for list
of possible variables you can use.
@end deftypevr
In the log I see that the last commit is related to Dovecot and it
includes some edits to teh documentation (to update the manual to the
new Dovecot service)
Indeed. Oops!
Post by Catonano
But I don't know the texi format, what's the poblem with this line ?
‘{’ and ‘}’ need escaping (resp. ‘@{’ and ‘@}’), apparently.

This should be fixed in 90d8923bf92cab8696d8395ef68c98d9775b110c.

Thanks!

T G-R

Pjotr Prins
2017-12-23 14:36:12 UTC
Post by Catonano
make distclean didn't help ð
Try a clean environment and the cleanup:

https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#building-gnu-guix-from-source-using-guix---the-bullet-proof-way