29/88: gnu: Add emacs-let-alist.
Alex Kost
2018-05-03 19:13:19 UTC
Hello Oleg, I have found you added a lot of new Emacs packages, thank
you!
wigust pushed a commit to branch master
in repository guix.
commit 15d568330bdd10694b358ff0d5de909ced7f7cdd
Date: Wed May 2 19:00:46 2018 +0300
gnu: Add emacs-let-alist.
* gnu/packages/emacs.scm (emacs-let-alist): New public variable.
'let-alist' is a part of Emacs (that's why it was removed by commit
469c7ce0¹). Is there a reason to add it?

¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=469c7ce058a6477bfdc1d965b17c3fb296df424b
Alex
Pierre Neidhardt
2018-05-03 19:26:24 UTC
Post by Alex Kost
Hello Oleg, I have found you added a lot of new Emacs packages, thank
you!
Wow, impressive work indeed. Note that you shouuld not have added
emms-player-simple-mpv since it's superseded by Emms 5.0.

I'll take care of this in a few days unless someone is faster than me :)
--
Pierre Neidhardt

If a man slept by day, he had little time to work. That was a
satisfying notion to Escargot.
-- "The Stone Giant", James P. Blaylock
Oleg Pykhalov
2018-05-04 06:13:43 UTC
Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <***@gmail.com> writes:

[
]
Post by Pierre Neidhardt
Wow, impressive work indeed. Note that you shouuld not have added
emms-player-simple-mpv since it's superseded by Emms 5.0.
Do you mean ‘emms-player-simple.el’ from:
tar xf $(~/src/guix/pre-inst-env env GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH= guix build --no-grafts -S emacs-emms) emms-5.0/lisp/emms-player-simple.el

I didn't check it carefully, but as I see it's not the same because I
don't see ‘json’ mentioned anywhere. Also ‘cloc’ tells about 1936 lines
of Lisp code in ‘emms-player-simple-mpv’. I will try ‘emms’ 5.0 later.
Post by Pierre Neidhardt
I'll take care of this in a few days unless someone is faster than me :)
OK, thank you! But please make sure that ‘emms-player-simple.el’ from
Emms is really the same as ‘emms-player-simple-mpv’, which uses MPV IPC
and parses JSON (not just starts a ‘mpv’ process per song or video).

Oleg.
Pierre Neidhardt
2018-05-04 08:39:19 UTC
Sorry, you are absolutely right. There are two mpv packages which names
were counter-intuitively swaped.

So `emms-player-mpv` is the one that was integrated in Emms 5.0.
`emms-player-simple-mpv` is the more complete, IPC mpv-based player.

Note that work in being done on the Emms mailing list to integrate the
IPC version, either from the -simple-mpv package or from original work.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Avoid Quiet and Placid persons unless you are in Need of Sleep.
-- National Lampoon, "Deteriorata"
Oleg Pykhalov
Date: Wed May 2 19:00:46 2018 +0300
gnu: Add emacs-let-alist.
* gnu/packages/emacs.scm (emacs-let-alist): New public variable.
'let-alist' is a part of Emacs (that's why it was removed by commit
469c7ce0¹). Is there a reason to add it?
Thank you for pointing on this.

Apologies. Importing ‘emacs-atomic-chrome’ (not in Guix package
collection yet) was a reason I've decided to package ‘let-alist’.

‘emacs-atomic-chrome’ builded successfully without ‘let-alist’.

Elpa importer could probably exclude ‘let-alist’ in ‘propagated-inputs’.

Oleg.
Oleg Pykhalov
2018-05-04 18:50:37 UTC
In addion to my previous answer.

Oleg Pykhalov <***@gmail.com> writes:

[
]
Post by Oleg Pykhalov
Elpa importer could probably exclude ‘let-alist’ in ‘propagated-inputs’.
Should I remove ‘let-alist’ now? Maybe we could implement exclude
mechanism for ‘let-alist’ and then remove ‘let-alist’? ‘let-alist’
shouln't clutter much if it stays in Guix package collection for a time.

Oleg.
Alex Kost
2018-05-06 16:55:39 UTC
Post by Oleg Pykhalov
In addion to my previous answer.
[…]
Post by Alex Kost
'let-alist' is a part of Emacs (that's why it was removed by commit
469c7ce0¹). Is there a reason to add it?
[…]
Elpa importer could probably exclude ‘let-alist’ in ‘propagated-inputs’.
Should I remove ‘let-alist’ now?
I am not the man to decide, but I would remove it :-)
Post by Oleg Pykhalov
Maybe we could implement exclude
mechanism for ‘let-alist’ and then remove ‘let-alist’?
I don't understand what mechanism you mean. Why it cannot simply be
removed?
Post by Oleg Pykhalov
‘let-alist’
shouln't clutter much if it stays in Guix package collection for a time.
But why should it stay? Since Emacs includes it, and it is not a
dependency for any package, I don't see a reason to keep it.
Alex
Oleg Pykhalov
2018-05-06 17:39:32 UTC
Alex Kost <***@gmail.com> writes:

[
]
Post by Alex Kost
I don't understand what mechanism you mean. Why it cannot simply be
removed?
‘guix import elpa’ should remove ‘let-alist’ or ‘guix lint’ should
notify ‘let-alist’ is already present in current Emacs.
Post by Alex Kost
Post by Oleg Pykhalov
‘let-alist’
shouln't clutter much if it stays in Guix package collection for a time.
But why should it stay? Since Emacs includes it, and it is not a
dependency for any package, I don't see a reason to keep it.
Because people will not package it again until Guix ‘import’ or ‘lint’
handle ‘let-alist’.

Oleg.
Alex Kost
2018-05-07 17:11:51 UTC
[…]
Post by Alex Kost
I don't understand what mechanism you mean. Why it cannot simply be
removed?
‘guix import elpa’ should remove ‘let-alist’ or ‘guix lint’ should
notify ‘let-alist’ is already present in current Emacs.
I don't think we should bother about it. Potentially, there always may
be some packages in ELPA that are kept there just for backward
compatibility (i.e., for the older versions of Emacs). I really think
it is unnecessary to keep track of such packages and treat them
specially on the Guix side.
Post by Alex Kost
‘let-alist’
shouln't clutter much if it stays in Guix package collection for a time.
But why should it stay? Since Emacs includes it, and it is not a
dependency for any package, I don't see a reason to keep it.
Because people will not package it again until Guix ‘import’ or ‘lint’
handle ‘let-alist’.
OK, I see your point. I have an opposite opinion: I would definitely
check if a package is a part of Emacs before trying to package it. And
I think 'let-alist' should be removed, since it is a useless package.

Anyway, if other people will not answer, I think you can do whatever
seems appropriate to you.
--
Alex