Update the Guix package/version
Roel Janssen
2018-04-23 08:50:00 UTC
Dear Guix,

What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
like in commit b1fb247b?

The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen
Ludovic Courtès
2018-04-23 15:51:32 UTC
Hello,
Post by Roel Janssen
What's the decision process for updating the ‘guix’ package revision,
like in commit b1fb247b?
There’s no real process, just do it when there’s a good reason to do it.
Post by Roel Janssen
The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.
Makes sense!

Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work. Be
sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah. And of
course, make sure the package builds locally. :-)

HTH,
Ludo’.
Roel Janssen
2018-04-23 22:40:57 UTC
Post by Ludovic Courtès
Post by Roel Janssen
The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.
Makes sense!
Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work. Be
sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah. And of
course, make sure the package builds locally. :-)
Cool! I didn't know about this build step. May I commit the change, so
that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen
Ludovic Courtès
2018-04-25 12:11:27 UTC
Post by Roel Janssen
Post by Ludovic Courtès
Post by Roel Janssen
The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.
Makes sense!
Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work. Be
sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah. And of
course, make sure the package builds locally. :-)
Cool! I didn't know about this build step. May I commit the change, so
that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?
Sure if you have an update based on an upstream commit that builds,
you’re welcome to push it.

Perhaps you can also run “guix build -S guix --check” to be 100% sure
that the commit and hash are correct.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
Roel Janssen
2018-04-25 12:50:44 UTC
Post by Ludovic Courtès
Post by Roel Janssen
Post by Ludovic Courtès
Post by Roel Janssen
The reason I ask this is because I'd like to bump the revision so that
the changes from 5cefb13d to ‘guix-daemon’ are available when I install
‘guix’ in a profile.
Makes sense!
Note that you can run “make update-guix-package” to do the work. Be
sure to do that from a commit that is available on Savannah. And of
course, make sure the package builds locally. :-)
Cool! I didn't know about this build step. May I commit the change, so
that I won't end up with an ambiguous revision number later on?
Sure if you have an update based on an upstream commit that builds,
you’re welcome to push it.
Perhaps you can also run “guix build -S guix --check” to be 100% sure
that the commit and hash are correct.
I did:
$ git reset --hard
$ git pull
$ make update-guix-package
$ guix build -S guix --check
$ guix build guix

And after verifying that all went fine, I then pushed the change in
5b862761f.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen