GSoC: Adding a web interface similar to the Hydra web interface
Tatiana Sholokhova
2018-05-03 15:44:01 UTC
Hello!

I'm Tatiana, I'm a GSoC intern. Now, I'm pursuing my master degree
in Computer Science at Moscow State University.

My project in GSoC is implementation web interface analogous to Hydra
interface.

I am really happy to be accepted for GSoC and excited about the project!

Tatiana
Maxim Cournoyer
2018-05-04 02:01:17 UTC
Hello!
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
Hello!
I'm Tatiana, I'm a GSoC intern. Now, I'm pursuing my master degree
in Computer Science at Moscow State University.
Welcome :)
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
My project in GSoC is implementation web interface analogous to Hydra
interface.
Sounds interesting and useful!
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
I am really happy to be accepted for GSoC and excited about the project!
See you in #guix; enjoy your SoC!

Maxim
Ludovic Courtès
2018-05-04 12:55:01 UTC
Ricardo Wurmus
2018-05-05 10:50:56 UTC
Hi Tatiana,

welcome to Guix!
Post by Ludovic Courtès
A good starting point for you will be to take a look at the basic ideas
behind Cuirass: what it does, how it structures information about builds
that it performs (which can be inferred from its database¹).
Some time ago I tried to document the database schema. This can be
found in the manual. The source file for the manual is here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/tree/doc/cuirass.texi

This may not be 100% accurate, but it may be helpful in getting to
understand what Cuirass stores and why.

Ricardo
Tatiana Sholokhova
2018-05-13 18:45:04 UTC
Hi all,

Thank you for your help and the provided resources which are very useful
for me at the first stage of the project.

I have built Cuirass on my local computer but I have encountered a few
problems while doing it. It turned out that I had an old version of
guile-sqlite3 installed by guix. I have spent some time discovering this
issue. Eventually, I've found that all I had to do is to update guix
packages list invoking "guix pull" and then update the packages.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of IRC usage and I'm not sure how to do
in a proper way. Of course, I would like to communicate with the community,
but I'm not sure which discussions are relevant in the IRC. For instance,
could I ask questions on building issues similar to ones I've encountered?

I have taken a look at Danny's Cuirass frontend application. Now I try to
run it locally. I have already figured out that I need to change URLPREFIX
and name of the repository and the branch in the code. But I still can't
get it working. According to the browser console, all the queries to
localhost sent by js receive following error:

"No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested
resource. Origin 'null' is therefore not allowed access."

But similar queries work well if I enter them manually via the browser or
curl. Could you give me any hints on that?

Best regards,
Tatiana
Post by Ricardo Wurmus
Hi Tatiana,
we haven’t heard from you since about a week, nor have I seen you on
IRC. (Granted, I was offline for some time, so I probably just missed
your introduction.)
The official so-called “community bonding period” of GSoC is soon coming
to an end, and it would be advisable to use the remaining time before
coding begins for some community bonding :)
I’d like to repeat that frequent communication is the key to a
successful GSoC project. If you have any questions about the project,
the code, or how to proceed, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
Thanks!
Ricardo
Gábor Boskovits
2018-05-13 19:30:10 UTC
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
[...]
Hello Tatiana,

by any chance do you run this code through a file:///... url? Origin null
usually means that. If so, it would be better to test in a locally
installed webserver.
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
Best regards,
Tatiana
Ricardo
Tonton
2018-05-13 19:33:58 UTC
Hi!

As far as IRC is concerned you're welcome to take any questions or
conversations that you have there. When people are online it tends to be
faster, and some problems - like live troubleshooting - is better suited to
IRC.

Personally I ask on IRC when I have a question. If it isn't answered or if my
problem is more complex, or maybe it requires a longer explanation, I'll send
it to the mailing list.

All you really need to try is an IRC client (there are also ones you can run
in your browser). And join server chat.freenode.net (port 6697 (or 6667
without ssl)) and channel #guix

Drop by and say hello if you like.

I'm not familiar with cuirass, so I can't help there, sorry. But good luck!

Post by Ricardo Wurmus
Hi Tatiana,
we haven’t heard from you since about a week, nor have I seen you on
IRC. (Granted, I was offline for some time, so I probably just missed
your introduction.)
The official so-called “community bonding period” of GSoC is soon coming
to an end, and it would be advisable to use the remaining time before
coding begins for some community bonding :)
I’d like to repeat that frequent communication is the key to a
successful GSoC project. If you have any questions about the project,
the code, or how to proceed, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
Thanks!
--
Ricardo
--
I use gpg to sign my emails. All the symbols you may see at the bottom
of this mail is my cryptographic signature. It can be ignored, or used
me or see: https://u.fsf.org/zb or https://ssd.eff.org/
Danny Milosavljevic
2018-05-13 19:54:22 UTC
Hi Tatiana,
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
I have taken a look at Danny's Cuirass frontend application. Now I try to
run it locally. I have already figured out that I need to change URLPREFIX
and name of the repository and the branch in the code. But I still can't
get it working. According to the browser console, all the queries to
"No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested
resource. Origin 'null' is therefore not allowed access."
But similar queries work well if I enter them manually via the browser or
curl. Could you give me any hints on that?
You're trying to run it as a file from your local computer, right?

Then it's security settings in your web browser preventing cross-site scripting
attacks.

If you use icecat, please install this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/cors-everywhere/

There's an square icon at the top right of the icecat window then (it says "cors").

If you click on it it will toggle between green and red.

When it's green it means that it will let all requests pass. WHEN IT'S GREEN, DON'T USE ONLINE BANKING or similar in the same session.

But the index.html frontend application will work just fine then :)

When it's red it means that cross-site scripting attack protection is online. If in doubt, leave it red. It should be red most of the time.

I myself develop like that:

For testing,

* Switch CorsE to green
* Refresh Cuirass frontend index.html page
* Try some stuff
* Close Cuirass frontend index.html page
* Switch CorsE to red
Ricardo Wurmus
2018-05-14 04:20:55 UTC
Hi Tatiana,
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
Unfortunately, I have no experience of IRC usage and I'm not sure how to do
in a proper way. Of course, I would like to communicate with the community,
but I'm not sure which discussions are relevant in the IRC. For instance,
could I ask questions on building issues similar to ones I've encountered?
Yes, anything relating to the project that is easier discussed live is
appropriate for the IRC channel.

If you don’t have an IRC client you can use

https://webchat.freenode.net/

Input any nickname and #guix as the channel.
Ricardo
Chris Marusich
2018-05-14 03:34:33 UTC
Post by Tatiana Sholokhova
Unfortunately, I have no experience of IRC usage and I'm not sure how to do
in a proper way. Of course, I would like to communicate with the community,
but I'm not sure which discussions are relevant in the IRC. For instance,
could I ask questions on building issues similar to ones I've encountered?
If you need a specific recommendation, I'd suggest you try HexChat for
IRC. It's available in Guix via "guix package -i hexchat". There are
other clients, but I've found this one works quite nicely for my simple
needs.

Another popular option I know of is Pidgin, which is also packaged in
Guix. I haven't used the Guix-installed Pidgin before, though, so I
don't know how well it works at this time.
--
Chris